GLA:D is a program for all individuals who experience any hip and/or knee pain or symptoms of OA, regardless of severity.
GLA:D comes from ‘Good Life with osteoarthritis in Denmark’, is an exercise program developed by researchers in Denmark for people with hip or knee osteoarthritis symptoms. It was then brought to Australia in 2016 to help Australians with hip or knee osteoarthritis.
What does GLA:D involve?
- The latest evidence in osteoarthritis (OA) research.
- Researched based exercise and education
- Help patients manage OA symptoms.
The GLA:D Program consists of:
- An initial appointment to explain the program and measure your current functional ability
- Two education sessions which teach you about OA, its risk factors, treatment options, and self-management strategies.
- Group exercise sessions twice a week for six weeks to improve your control of the joint, your confidence in the joint and your strength
- A review at 3-months with your physio to discuss progress and goals, and re-measure your functional ability
- Completion of a questionnaire on registration with the program, and then again at 3 and 12 months after registration to measure changes in areas such as pain, function, quality of life, and medication use.
Who is GLA:D for?
Is a program for all individuals who experience any hip and/or knee pain or symptoms of OA, regardless of severity.
When are the exercise and education sessions?
There are various times and days which we offer the exercise programs. Education sessions are offered throughout the year. Please give the clinic a call for further details
What are the costs for GLA:D?
Please give the clinic a call for all related costs. The costs of the GLA:D program consists of:
- x 1 Initial Assessment
- x 1 three (3) month review
- x 12 exercise sessions
Private Health rebates apply and some people may be eligible to use Medicare funding for the assessments.
Current national and international clinical guidelines recommend patient education, exercise and weight management as first line treatment for everyone with osteoarthritis - So why wait and make a start with the GLA:D program!